Kids moving out question again....(lovetoteach)

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 22,603
lovetoteach23 Posted: Tue, Mar 5 2013 10:18 PM

I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of these in the coming month.

DD is moving out to an apartment, off campus. She needs furniture. Do I have her take her bedroom furniture? She wants to so it will save money, but what will she sleep on when she comes home? She will come home for two weeks at a time in the summer and I can't see her sleeping on the couch or an air mattress. Do I buy another bed? Hmmmm.... We are going to put all the exercise equipment in her room, but it can still fit a bed.

She will have a washer/dryer hookup, but I don't think we should pay for a new washer/dryer. They also have a laundry room. Is it mean to not buy them one and have them use the laundry room. Anyone ever rent a washer/dryer?

If all three roommates buy furniture together, who gets it when they move out? So many little things. Can you tell I never lived with roommates. I lived at home until I got married.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,256
Merry replied on Tue, Mar 5 2013 10:57 PM

If it were me, I'd buy a cheap bed frame and new mattress for the apartment and keep her bedroom furniture at home.   Also when I moved into an apartment with girlfriend, we went to the laundramat once a week for two years!  It wasn't until I got married that I bought my own washer/dryer.  We also went to garage sales and family attics to find furniture and did a lot of refinishing and painting.  There was just two of us so after two years of being roomies, we split the shared property with no issues.  She is still my very good friend today...bonded for life!!

Sad time for the parents, but exciting time for the young adults.  Wishing everyone all the best!!

Merry

2011: 1st-68 2nd-68 3rd-51 4th-35     2012: 1st-82 2nd-57 3rd-40 4th-78     2013: 1st-51  2nd-41  3rd-14

x6 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 5,019
Skeeter replied on Tue, Mar 5 2013 11:04 PM

I agree with Merry! New mattress and Craigslist! LOL! Use the laundry room and if they want a washer and dryer bad enough, they could always pool money and buy used. One could buy the other out, or Craigslist it when they move out! ~Bev~

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 16,495

Merry:

If it were me, I'd buy a cheap bed frame and new mattress for the apartment and keep her bedroom furniture at home.   Also when I moved into an apartment with girlfriend, we went to the laundramat once a week for two years!  It wasn't until I got married that I bought my own washer/dryer.  We also went to garage sales and family attics to find furniture and did a lot of refinishing and painting.  There was just two of us so after two years of being roomies, we split the shared property with no issues.  She is still my very good friend today...bonded for life!!

Sad time for the parents, but exciting time for the young adults.  Wishing everyone all the best!!

Ditto!  You can usually find a fairly good mattress and bed frame without spending a lot of money.  I like the idea of going to garage sales, or you might have some odd pieces that you wouldn't mind getting rid of.   I have nieces that did the same and found older used furniture....seems to be easier than having to worry about something newer getting torn or damaged, then someone being upset about the damage.  

We had always told the girls that they could take their bedroom furniture to a new home but would prefer they didn't use it during college, too much moving around. YDD bought a used fouton (sp) after her second year of college and still has it.....we sleep on it in their guest bedroom.  She and her DH are now using her old bed set from home, it is way too short for her hubby but will do until they get something else!   

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,522

What about a day bed or futon............something that serves another purpose during the day? We have a couch that folds out to become a bed at night..........it works well for us.

I would just do laundry in the common area..........not worry about getting her own.

Craigslist is fabulous so is yard/tag sales for furniture or anything else needed.

MY BLOG:  http://cozienookhomestead.wordpress.com

2013 Pages Completed: 62

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,515

I used the laundry room at my last place. I would say have everyone contribute random pieces of furniture, don't attempt to go in on anything. I would also buy a new mattress and try to find the rest on craiglist.

My scrappy blog: Creative Happiness

Dash your Stash:

February: 5 pages/5 pages

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,436
Hope replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 10:25 AM

we my girls moved into their apt, we moved their bedroom furniture.  we had bought them new beds in high school, specifically with that intention.  For when they come home, we had a queen bed in my DH's office that also served as a guest room, so we moved that into my ODD's room.  And we also had their old bunk beds, so I bought a new mattress and put that in my youngest DD's room.  Quite a lot of bed shuffling.

For furniture, my DDs did get some stuff at Ikea, but they have also used craig lists and I've had friends give them tables.  My ODD is moving into a new apt in July that will have a washer/dryer hook-up.  Because of her heavy schedule next year (she'll be doing clinics), it'll be good for her not to have to go to the laundry room, so we may help her out some.

and I have to say, when YDD was looking for an apt in San Diego, one of her major criteria is that it have washer/dryer in the apt.  She knew exactly what she wanted and she found it, so she's very happy.

Hope

2012 Christmas Cards made: 10

2nd quarter Throwdown lay-outs made:  47!! - (my goal is 30)

CK Summer Camp Blinkie 2012 200 pixels Howdy, Campers! Earn Your Badges at CK Summer Camp 2012

Badge 1 Markers and Pens with Paper 125 Howdy, Campers! Earn Your Badges at CK Summer Camp 2012Badge 2 Stickers 125 Howdy, Campers! Earn Your Badges at CK Summer Camp 2012Badge 3 Various Mediums 125 Howdy, Campers! Earn Your Badges at CK Summer Camp 2012

Follow Me on Pinterest

my blog (a work in progress!):  http://hoping2scrap.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 15,524
Moongirl replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:25 AM

ScrappinEweRobyn:

What about a day bed or futon............something that serves another purpose during the day? We have a couch that folds out to become a bed at night..........it works well for us.

I would just do laundry in the common area..........not worry about getting her own.

Craigslist is fabulous so is yard/tag sales for furniture or anything else needed.

That is what we did.  A futon that doubled as a couch at our house, she bought a bed on Craig's List.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,711
SandyP replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 12:37 PM

My kids have rented apartments for college, but they were always furnished. I would keep her bed at home unless she is moving out for good....then  would replace hers at home with a pullout couch.

As for furniture....put the word out...maybe someone has something they would be willing to part with. Also check the thrift stores for dinner tables and end tables.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,761

If there are lists in your area, have your daughter and her roomies join Freecycle.(It is a group of Yahoo! groups - specialized by locale. We have several here in the Philadelphia area - I am registered for 3 of them...)  LOTS of free stuff - including furniture, washers/dryers, all the stuff needed for an apt-  offered, and as they find out what they DON"T need, they can meet someone else's needs by posting their un-needed stuff.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
FAQ | About Us | Privacy Policy | Guarantee | Join Copyright ©2014, Creative Crafts Group, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use