Thanks Living Challenge #1 - Erika H

rated by 0 users
This post has 129 Replies | 22 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,045
Erika H Posted: Sun, Jan 1 2012 1:50 PM

Count your blessings and you'll lose count of your misfortunes" - Jean Clervil

UPDATE: Go here for some fun FREE downloads to help make your Thanks Living layout this month!  A special thanks to Deena Wuest and CK for making this happen!

WelcomeFriends!

So how are your Thanks Living statements coming along? Maybe you are just beginning the journey today and that is great, this is a month long challenge so you have plenty of time to come up with your Thanks Living statements(-for more information on the Thanks Living Challenge and Thanks Living statements, check out this post.)  Luckily for us, we can begin a life of Thanks Living ANYTIME! 

I have been working on mine and one thing for sure I am thankful for is my brain.  Our brains are always at work!  I love that our brains are always seeking solutions. For years, I have been interested in furthering my knowledge of graphic design. I have read many books on design of all variety.  I would like to begin our THANKS LIVING adventure by letting you know, I am no longer a professional graphic designer, and when I was designing for a company, I was a self-taught designer. My goal with Thanks Living  challenges  is to open a small peek into what I have learned over the years. If you have something to add or correct  to the design principle portion (say that three times really fast)of this challenge, please feel free to email me at thinkingthroughdesign@hotmail.com .  I promise I will act in due diligence to ensure the information I have is correct; however, if I blunder, be kind, I will gladly make corrections! 

One last point (haha) of business, this is a NEW challenge, and we are still working out all the bugs, so hang in there and if I need to clarify something let me know, as we are beginning on a SUNDAY, I will be posting links to some freebies as well as details to this months prize later in the month. I will always put  "UPDATED" below the content in the original post so it is easy to find. Thanks for all your support friends!

ON TO THE FUN STUFF!

Our Thanks Living journey will begin by concentrating on POINT, and LINES.  All things are made up of points and points make lines, so they go hand and hand.  The importance of POINT and LINE in scrapbooking is well... everything!  Understanding lines is very important to scrapbook design. 

Let's begin with POINT, as this journey progresses, you will notice that we come back to point often.  It is after all the POINT! (ha-ha)

POINT: as defined (by me) in scrapbooking, usually refers to a focal point.  Where do you want your reader to focus immediately when looking at a layout?  Our goal in POINT development is literally to control the reader's immediate attention.  How do we do that?

with LINES

LINES are a very powerful tool.  The human brain LIKES lines, the (most the time) give order. The brain likes order!  I want to share with you a diagram I made for my blog a while back that will help with the concept of LINES.

Let' s take a look at lines:

Horizontal Lines: convey peace and are foundational on scrapbook layouts.  These kinds of lines are a natural flow for the reader's eye.  Horizontal lines are baselines for most text as well.

Vertical lines: are dominant, demand attention and the readers mind will attempt to understand the purpose of the vertical line.  These lines stand up (literally) and say, "LOOK here".  In addition, because they stand, they can give a layout and air of spirituality, as if to say they are reaching to the heavens.   Vertical lines will take over a layout if not controlled.

Diagonal lines: These lines create a sense of movement, and in 2D (scrapbooking) they can create a perspective of "space". When a layout needs directions given, placing elements on a diagonal will help the artist control the flow of the layout.

Interestingly, when you combine a vertical and horizontal line, you create a sense of stability. It is often practice of scrapbook artists to innately create this stability.  If you look at several scrapbook layouts, you will notice a harmony that is created with the uses of horizontal and vertical lines.

Zigzag lines are a combination of diagonal lines that connect at points. Zigzag lines are dynamic and maintain the high energy characteristics of diagonal lines. They create excitement and intense movement. They  can express confusion and tension at times as they change direction quickly and frequently.

The arch or curved line: Did you know that magicians use the brain's love of the arch element to make the illusions work?  See when a magician wants to utilize the "sleight of hand" all he must do is create an arching motion, a handkerchief arching in the air, the motion of a magic wand... that's because the arch motion is almost irresistible to the human brain.  When we use the corner rounder on our photos we are creating a most alluring line for our brain.  Curved lines are fluid and soft, they are a great way to bring a very defined smoothness to a layout.

FOUNDATION:  Lines=Foundation, or grounding.  Lines are the base of all design.  To prevent your work from looking scattered, disjoined or misshapen, using simple lines (and we will discuss weight of lines another month) to ground your elements such as a photo, or title will make for a beautiful beginning.  Floating elements don't make sense to the brain (unless it is a bird or balloon) so we need to ground elements on our scrapbook layouts with lines and create that foundation.

When scrapbooking try and play with lines, but remember, there is a natural flow using the "Z" form when setting up a layout is a great beginning.  The eye tracks similar to the way we read; therefore placing your important elements on the "Z" lines will help to create a layout that is easy for the reader to distinguish.  Notice within this layout hard lines from the design are softened with a curved line creating a frame to draw my reader into the page.  The hard lines of the content follow a "z" form ensuring that my reader investigates my layout thoroughly. 

We will return to lines often in our journey together as they (lines) are the foundation of all design.  Understanding that your lines form a foundation for your scrapbook layouts will allow you to draw the reader in and will make beginning a new layout less of a chore.

REMEMEBER if you need to bring POWER to an element, for instance a weaker photo, place it on your strongest line! 

Your challenge this month: use your list of Thanks Living statements and create a layout using the line principles you have learned. Then tell me what you discovered as you created. Try to use your Thanks Living statement in a predominant line! (Journaling or a title) For fun, I like to add a little CK in everything I do so, the Latest and Greatest article in JAN/FEB 2012 has a definite LOOOOVE theme.. so let's Make it OURS..

HOW ARE YOU THANKS LIVING THE LOVE IN YOUR LIFE! 

I am terribly eager to see what you come up with- Post your layouts here, if you need help on how to do that, shoot me a convo or an email!

Blessings!

xoxox

e

LOOK for your Thanks Living reminders in the Scraptivities Board and facebook! 

We have so many fun things to discover, and the great part is we will do this together!  If you have any questions, or need clairification email or convo me. I will do my best to get back to you ASAP!

UPDATED ON: 2/17/13 

2013 Layouts: 25 

Cards: 3 

Project Life: Photos 47; Journal Entries:47

Other Crafty Projects not paper related: 4 

Dinner made at home: 45

30/30: starts 1/31/13 Days completed: 16

Books Completed: 5 books / 2187 pages

MY  BLOG  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,522

Thanks Erika for the scrapbooking tidbit. I know I for one quite often forget about lines............I need to focus on them more. I will get to work on this fabulous challenge. I already have the topic and photos in mind!

MY BLOG:  http://cozienookhomestead.wordpress.com

2013 Pages Completed: 62

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,424
Gena replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 4:06 PM

Thanks for the challenge, Erika!  One question, though - are we free to choose any topic or does it "have" to be about love?  I'm a little confused on that part.

2013 LO's:  9

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,045
Erika H replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 4:11 PM

Gena:

Thanks for the challenge, Erika!  One question, though - are we free to choose any topic or does it "have" to be about love?  I'm a little confused on that part.

Good question Gena... I would just like to see a little "love" in your layout. Much like the ISSUE challenges.. I am about being inspired.. I would love to see whatever you come up with .. the love is a leaping off point.

Does that answer your question? I

BLessings

e

MY  BLOG  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,424
Gena replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 4:18 PM

Erika H:

Gena:

Good question Gena... I would just like to see a little "love" in your layout. Much like the ISSUE challenges.. I am about being inspired.. I would love to see whatever you come up with .. the love is a leaping off point.

Does that answer your question? I

BLessings

e

Yes, Erika - thanks!

Also, I have been trying all afternoon to get the "Thanks Living" logo into my signature line and I keep getting the error message that it's over the maximum number of characters.  I've tried making it smaller, but that doesn't help.  What am I doing wrong?

2013 LO's:  9

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,045
Erika H replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 5:15 PM

I will have a blinkie for your siggie line soon. I will post it as soon as it is done! THANKS to the lovely Deena Wuest for making us a blinkie she is amazing!

Gena:

Yes, Erika - thanks!

Also, I have been trying all afternoon to get the "Thanks Living" logo into my signature line and I keep getting the error message that it's over the maximum number of characters.  I've tried making it smaller, but that doesn't help.  What am I doing wrong?

MY  BLOG  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 22,603

Love the blinkie for my siggy, thanks.

Is this challenge for the entire month? I hope so! So many exciting things happening on our message board this year!!! Thanks so much.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 18,309

WOW...Erika, you have put so much into this. Thank you for that! This is awesome! Now you've got me disecting the sketch I am working on right now...looking at the lines in it and how it flows. Now i think I know why the sketch works. The sketch happens to be valentine themed from last year. So I think now, I am going to add a little more deeper meaning in my journaling. I am thinking I could do multiple LO's this month on the Thanksliving topic of love. Thank you for teaching me and inspiring me!

Christy 

http://myscrapbookevolution.blogspot.com/         Twitter as @paperscientist

OLW- Revolution

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,870

wow! thanks so much for this! your time and effort are absolutely precious and appreciated!

Kelly http://blsd2scrp.blogspot.com/ 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
tracie replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 5:38 PM

I am just coming across this "Thanks Living" idea; I must say that I LOVE IT!  I just happened across a news story at the end of last week about a man who learned to write thank you notes to people, and about how much he learned about himself in the process.  [I guess he wrote one a day for a year or something to that effect...]  Anyway, I was thinking I'd like to do something along those same lines!  And I think this would suit my creative abilities!  There are many things I am thankful for in my life, but I often find that I let the negatives overtake my attention.  THANK YOU for inspiring a creative outlet and encouraging me to thank those people/things/ideas, etc in my life.

tracie

http://creativelycraftedbytracie.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/creatively.crafted.cards

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,045
Erika H replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 6:18 PM

@ love2teach-- YES this is a month long challenge... I will have 12 different design principles as well... so it will be a year of thanks and learning!  :)  I know some of the design information  some of us will know, but I am trying to touch on some very important design principles that will make scrapbooking more enjoyable. 

@EmeraldVal-- I am just so happy you are playing along. I know you have been on board since I proposed the idea!  I so appreciate that about you! I am very excited to see what you come up with! :)

@ blsd2scrap- Well I love the Club PEEPS ( really I love you guys) so this is not really work for me.. it is.. a blessing :) -- ALSO I must give credit, the gals at CK have been VERY supportive, Jennafer M, Erin, Deena and pretty much everyone...

@tracie-- WELCOME!  I am so excited that you have found this challenge, we also have a facebook page (Thanks Living) and I post on CK-- I am pretty sure there will be some great giveaways as well!  OH and I would love to know more about the man you spoke of in your post.  I forever researching the "Happiness Effect" as I call it!  

ALSO if you gals think of anything to improve our challenge --my email/convo box is always open! Big Smile

Blessings

e

MY  BLOG  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,594
Toree replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 6:39 PM

Love this challenge and love the concept, I can't wait to jump into these challenges with you Erika. Thank you for creating it!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,179
Margie replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 7:33 PM

I, too, am very excited about this challenge!  Thank you so much for all you do for us here at Club CK!  Looking forward to playing along every month.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,485

Erika, thank you so much for this challenge.  I've chimed in before, but since then, I've been noticing the things I've been "Thanks Living" for.  Like my DH who is actually paying more attention than I thought in what goes into our meals--tonight, we're having meatloaf and he got out almost all of the ingredients and even turned the oven on to the correct temp--all without a recipe!  (Lucky on his part, but still made me happy.)  I have a journal on my nightstand, with pen, that I will be recording my Thanks Living statements. 

About six months ago, around WAORUT, I decided to start living in the positive instead of the negative.  A lot of things started happening--I was happier, my health improved, and I started enjoying life more.  Do I still have stress?  You betcha!  But I don't let it get the better of me. 

Thank you so much for hosting this Scraptivity! 

February LO Count:  12; March LO Count:  16 LOs (31 pages)

March LO Count: (did not participate in  March)

April LO Goal:  20 pages;  Pages complete:  28!  I exceeded my goal!

http://pinterest.com/tulipscrapper/

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,812

Hi Erika:

Thank you so much for posting this first challenge!  I am so very excited.  I haven't started writing my Thanksgiving statements, but I am going to do this tonight so that I know which one I will use.  I've also loved this idea from the beginning, so I'm very excited to start.

One thing I have to say though is that the lines topic confused me a little.  I tried reading it through several times, but I still was unable to truly comprehend it.  Can you please help to explain to me a little bit more? (Sorry and thank you!)

Kelly

Check out my blog!

On a spending freeze from April 1 through April 30.  Wish me luck!

Page 1 of 9 (130 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS
FAQ | About Us | Privacy Policy | Guarantee | Join © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use