Top 10 Posters

CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric

Greetings, Scrappy Friends!  This is Joey Manwarren, and I'm here today talking about fabric. Do you have extra fabric remnants lying around, but aren't sure what to do with them? Why not use them on your scrapbooking projects? Creatively using fabric is an easy way to add texture to your layouts, cards, or projects--and sewing isn't always required. Even digital layouts can be kicked up a notch with the addition of real or digital fabric! Here are some examples (many from the gallery on Club CK!):

Layering pops of fabric under your photo adds color, texture, and dimension:

Eiffel Love by Kimberlee, as seen in the Club CK idea galleries.

Use fabric instead of paper to make a mat of squares for a photo:

Relaxin' by KellyF, as seen in the Club CK idea galleries.

Use fabric to create a foundation for your layout by pleating a fabric remnant using a sewing machine or staples and hot glue gun:

Like Mother Like Daughter by Ashley Horton, as seen in the Club CK idea galleries.

Do you have a pair of old holey jeans that are headed to the trash?  Why not recycle them and create a mini album?

Thank Heaven for Little Boys by luvalotmum, as seen in the Club CK idea galleries.

Fabric isn't just for scrapbooking!  Adding fabric to cards adds a little extra punch of texture:

Thanks So Much by Dawn McVey, as seen in the Club CK idea galleries.

Add dimension to a digital layout by printing the layout and sewing on strips of fabric:

Forever by Wilna Furstenberg, as seen in Mixed Media Scrapbooking, a special issue of Creating Keepsakes magazine, page 108.

Here is a digital layout I created using a scanned swatch of denim:

Together by Joey Manwarren.

My challenge for you is to create a layout, card, or project of your choosing using scraps of fabric. Grab some fabric from your scrapping stash or recycle an old clothing item that was headed for the rag pile. I look forward to seeing your creations!

--Joey Manwarren, CK Dream Team member

P.S. Be sure to take a peek at the CK editors blog today so you can learn how to create adorable stitched paper flowers.

Challenge

For today's challenge,  create a layout, card, or project of your choosing using scraps of fabric . Everyone who participates earns the right to "wear" the Fabric & Thread merit badge (at the very bottom of this post), and we'll draw one lucky winner to receive this a prize chock-full of goodies from American CraftsBazzill Basics PaperCanvas Corp, and  Karen Foster Design.

If you'd like to participate in the challenge, here's what to do:

1. Create a layout based on the challenge above.
  2. Upload a photograph or scan of your layout to the Club CK gallery. (how to upload to the gallery)
  3. Leave a comment below with the URL link to your layout in the Club CK gallery; for example, your comment could look like this: "Thanks for the great challenge! Here's my project: http://clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/media/p/31086.aspx."

Note: Previously created layouts are not eligible; images and comments must be posted on or after July 27, 2012, to be eligible.

Your images and comments must be posted before 9:00 am MDT on Monday, July 30, 2012, to be considered for the contest. We apologize, but we are unable to ship internationally. If you are chosen as a winner and do not have a U.S. address, you will be offered a year subscription to Creating Keepsakes magazine instead of this prize.

For More Info

We love adding fabric and stitching to our scrapbooks and have tons of great ideas on how to do it! If you'd like more inspiration, templates, or free downloads, check out the following articles.

Fabric & Thread Merit Badge

Badge 5 Fabric and Digi 125 Howdy, Campers! Earn Your Badges at CK Summer Camp 2012

Participate in our challenge to earn your Fabric & Thread merit badge! Just right-click and save to your computer, then add to your signature file.

Comments

sixtyschild wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 7:39 AM

FABRIC! I love using fabric on both traditional and Digital Layouts..this one I know I can do ( just not be able to submit for another 4 days unfortunately!!!) Thanks for the wonderful inspiration Joey!

Margie wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 7:55 AM

Great ideas for using fabric!  Thanks for the inspiration!

blsd2scrp wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 8:00 AM

Yay! I can't wait to try using some fabric on a LO! thanks for the fun challenge!

Anonymous1 wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 8:18 AM

LOVE this challenge!!! CK, you ROCK!

Sagecat wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 8:21 AM

I love using fabric on projects and now I am inspired to create a LO using fabric for the challenge!  Thanks for the inspiration!

Laurie wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 8:54 AM

Wonderful examples - thanks!!!

SandyP wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 1:07 PM

Here's mine:  I used a pocket from an old pair of jeans and a tag from his favorite jeans.

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../967925.aspx

Family Scrapper wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 2:15 PM
Crafty Country Bumpkin' wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 2:36 PM

Oooh now this one I could do!

Wanda wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 3:48 PM

I cut out my title from an old t-shirt and machine stitched in to my page.

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../968024.aspx

Gretl Dixon wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 6:03 PM

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../968091.aspx - Fabric scraps from quilt and ribbon scraps in complimentary colors

Kimmon wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 8:06 PM

Again...CK thank you for this challenge.  I've been wanting to scrap this pic, but didn't know how till I worked through this challenge!!   Here's my LO:

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../968180.aspx

3froggies wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 10:10 PM

What a fun challenge, not sure Ill get the time to fit it in, but Ill try on Sunday night!

MrsFussyCut wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 11:24 PM

I tried something that I have never done before. It was a good creativity stretch. Here is my LO called the Wrong Campsite.

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../968305.aspx

MrsFussyCut wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 27 July 2012, 11:39 PM

This is my LO for the Fun with Fabric challenge. I have never used fabric in a LO before. When I read the bit about using old jeans, I remember that I had a bit of needlepoint that I would never have finished so I decided to take a stab at using it in a LO. It's called Wrong Campsite.

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../968305.aspx

Kerry wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Saturday, 28 July 2012, 1:26 AM

Unfortunately a while ago I got rid of my scraps thinking I would never use them. Fortunately I looked through my scrapbook stash and found some fabric I could work with. I hope you like it.

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../2008-Jan-_2D00_-So-Serious.jpg

Elisa wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Saturday, 28 July 2012, 10:56 AM

Here's my take on the challenge:

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../968481.aspx

ColleenC wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Saturday, 28 July 2012, 11:24 AM

Love fabric! I got to use part of my quilting fabric stash on this: clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../968496.aspx

JJsMomSteph wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Saturday, 28 July 2012, 11:49 AM

I just bought these fabric accents (I am not good with sewing-no machine) and I love how they look! clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../968504.aspx

Heather M wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Saturday, 28 July 2012, 6:16 PM

Here's my LO with tulle fabric.

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../968758.aspx

brown eyed girl wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Saturday, 28 July 2012, 6:30 PM

Here is mine.  I have had this piece of fabric sitting around for probably a year.  Thanks for the inspiration to use it!

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../968772.aspx

beccanay2 wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Saturday, 28 July 2012, 6:30 PM

Another great challenge! Here is a card I made using canvas. I cut the canvas into circles using my Sizzix and a circle die.

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../968774.aspx

Moongirl wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Saturday, 28 July 2012, 8:07 PM

Yay!  I got them all done.  I like using fabric.  I ruffled mine to make a cute border.

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../968829.aspx

Shutterbuggal wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Saturday, 28 July 2012, 9:13 PM
Jean wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 11:15 AM

Here is mine

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../July42012.jpg

I used one of the dog's old bandanas.

Jean wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 11:16 AM

Here is mine

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../July42012.jpg

I used one of the do's old bandanas.

Anonymous1 wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 1:07 PM

Here is mine!

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../969831.aspx

I used denim, cloth ribbons and cloth journaling tags.

Thanks for the challenge!!!

Becky wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 1:58 PM

Here's mine: clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../969875.aspx

I added a torn fabric strip and gathered flower to my page.

Thanks for the great Summer Camp!

Hattie wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 4:22 PM

Here's my card

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../969985.aspx

I used a fabric flower that I made using polyester.

HJORDISH wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 6:04 PM

Great challenge! I created a card using an old denim skirt and some tulle fabric:

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970046.aspx

ScrapHappyLady wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 6:39 PM

This one was fun! I have never made yo-yo flowers before. They were sew (he he) easy:

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970072.aspx

BeachGal wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 7:39 PM

Here is mine.  I used the fabric butterflies

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970167.aspx

ScrappinEweRobyn wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 7:48 PM

Here is mine..........I use green plaid fabric in the shape of triangles.

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970205.aspx

Kristi D wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 8:03 PM

Wow.  I actually finished 3 LO's for the challenges.  clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970238.aspx

Gayle wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 8:35 PM

I used demin to make the banner in my title for this challenge.

Here it is:  clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970245.aspx

Margie wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 8:42 PM

Here's my layout - I made the pinwheel out of fabric:

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970261.aspx

Clovenwing wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 9:56 PM

Here's mine: clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970327.aspx

I Used fabric on my inspiration board, and I'm totally inspired to use more!

grammachurch wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 10:08 PM

I added some fabric to the cutout portion of my card.  Adds great texture.

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970391.aspx

Casey wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 10:52 PM

I used 2 types of canvas on my page. One plain and one with a pattern that i cut out and sewed together to create a banner underneath my photos. This one was really fun to put together!! Heres mine:

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970437.aspx

Ashley Horton wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 11:01 PM

Joey, thanks so much for choosing one of my pages, as an example for this challenge!!  Here is what I did with fabric:  I used tulle and gathered it together, and tied it with some embroidery floss. Then I used it as the centers for my wood veneer butterflies.

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970449.aspx

Megan Smith wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 11:02 PM

Fun challenge! I had scraps from an old pair of jeans in my stash so here is what I came up with!

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970451.aspx

Probyte wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 11:36 PM
Cards4Ever wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Sunday, 29 July 2012, 11:49 PM
Rachel9n wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Monday, 30 July 2012, 1:21 AM

Here is mine for the last challenge of Summer Camp!

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970503.aspx

Thanks for a FUN Summer Camp, glad I could attend every day!

Stephanie wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Monday, 30 July 2012, 2:12 AM

I was immediately inspired to use the scraps from the 1st Day of School skirt that I've sewn for my daughter to make a matching 1st Day of School card to slip into her school box! Thanks for the challenge! Here is my project: clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970513.aspx

irmz wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Monday, 30 July 2012, 5:30 AM

I used a portion of a sleeve of a blouse I was going to toss out. Here is my card:

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970530.aspx

sixtyschild wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Monday, 30 July 2012, 9:11 AM

here is mine, I covered a scrapbook album with two different fabrics, some lace, ribbon and chipboard letters painted. here is the link.... clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970698.aspx

Frances wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Monday, 30 July 2012, 10:48 AM

Enjoyed stretching myself to continue to learn to sew.  Thanks.

clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970796.aspx

Joey wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Monday, 30 July 2012, 11:44 AM

WOW!  I am so excited to take a peek at all of these projects!  Thank you all for doing this challenge! The response has made my day! Thank you!

Christine wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Monday, 30 July 2012, 1:13 PM

Ooooh, my first really girly LO!  :)  I cut up an old pajama top to make my title -- my daughter is a "Glamour Girl!"  (I am not -- lol!)  clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../970858.aspx

sixtyschild wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Thursday, 2 August 2012, 9:29 AM

Kerry Yours is the only one I couldn;t comment on for some reason, sorry.

sixtyschild wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Thursday, 2 August 2012, 9:50 AM

Sorry Joan I couldn't comment on yours either. everyone else I left some love in your galleries, some very fine creativity with fabric peeps, such inspiration!

Scrapbooking Tips & Tricks Editors wrote re: CK Summer Camp 2012 (Day Five): Fun with Fabric
on Friday, 3 August 2012, 10:23 AM

And the winner is....MrsFussyCut (clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/.../968305.aspx)

Summer Camp Challenge Day Five: Fabric

Thanks to everyone who participated in this class! MrsFussyCut, watch for a message on your profile page to claim your prize.

FAQ | About Us | Privacy Policy | Guarantee | Join © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.