Product organization quiz

Do you tend to keep only things you love-items that inspire your creativity? Or, through the years, have you held onto products that no longer fit your vision for scrapbooking? Give yourself permission to let go of things that you really won't use and free up some room, both physically and mentally, to focus on the things that really get you excited to scrapbook. Use the questions below to help you decide which products to keep, and which products to let go of.

3. Which products make you want to create?

8. What types of storage containers are you using that don't work well for you?

And next time you're at the scrapbook store, remember, it's better to buy a little of something that you truly love than a lot of something that's on sale but doesn't fit your style or feed your creativity. You'll just end up giving it away later anyway.

Comments

Debbells wrote re: Product organization quiz
on Tuesday, 18 January 2011, 1:20 PM

1. I'm actually pretty good on this one at the moment....I purged everything that fit this category before moving a year and a half ago, and have stayed on top of things since (so far....knock wood!).

2. Again, pretty good with this.

3. Stamps. patterned paper, ribbons. Dies.

4. My brads and eyelets and that sort of thing. They're organized in mini containers within small ikea containers. but the ikea containers are all jumbled up. My inkpads are starting to scramble a bit too...and my punches basket is overflowing a wee bit.

5 & 6. Paper, Cardstock, stickers, rubons, scraps, etc. pretty much everything i keep in my cropper hopper vertical thingies. Also my ribbons and stamps, and adhesive, tools, etc.

7. My cropper hopper vertical paper files and sticker organizers. My scraps are organized by color in page protectors. my stamps are in baskets. my ribbons in mason jars by color on my wall.

8. the ikea boxes for the tiny stuff.the punches need work (or another basket, which i don't have room for), and the ink pads are not ideal the way they are.

grammachurch wrote re: Product organization quiz
on Tuesday, 18 January 2011, 2:47 PM

1. Which products in your stash do you find uninspiring, cumbersome, or not in line with your reasons for scrapbooking?  I have more Patterned Paper and 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock than I need.

2. Which products in your stash are you holding onto out of guilt? (If you look at it and think, "I paid good money for this, I may need it someday, it was a gift, or it's wasteful not to use this," you're probably keeping it out of guilt.)  Just the Patterned Paper that I don't like anymore or that came with a stack.

3. Which products make you want to create?  Embellishments and papers I've bought or recieved in the last six months - they just look fresher.

4. List the products that you need to reorganize (the ones that are hard to find or that you keep forgetting you have).  Ribbons, brads, buttons, eyelets.

Stickers, chipboard elements, glitter, stickles and spray ink.

6. Which storage solutions are working best for you? Write down products that are stored in ways that make them easy to retrieve and put away.  Markers, stamps, stamp ink, glitter, stickles, spray ink.

7. What types of storage containers are you using that work well for you? (Use your answers to question 6.)  See-through drawers with labels, baskets, decorative boxes and cans.

8. What types of storage containers are you using that don't work well for you?  Deep drawers or drawers with mixtures of things in them.

Laurie Lane wrote re: Product organization quiz
on Tuesday, 18 January 2011, 3:21 PM

1.  too many extra embellishments ... ribbon, eyelets, buttons, etc.  The smaller stuff.

2.  Patterned paper that has lost its flair and no longer 'in-style'.

3.  A really good photography, nice texturized cardstock, some pattern paper and nice rich-coloured embossed stickers and chipboard.

4.  I need a good system for my extra embellishments.  even though I don't use them as often, I like to keep them on hand because my daughter also scrapbooks and she enjoys using them.

Plus I need a good system for my stickers/labels/letters.

5.  cardstock, patterned paper, inks and stamps, quick cutz tools, exacto knife, markers and my tools.

6.  cardstock/pattern paper are stored in a cube unit, separated by colour theme; most recent scrapbook magazines kept close by in another cube unit - filtered out as the year progresses, tools at hand on right side of my table in a mesh basket and finally, any projects I am working on are stored in mesh hanging file pockets on the wall -- three of them -- so that as I am inspired, I place all the 'stuff' in there until I sit down and work.

8.  Drawers that hide things.  I like to SEE everything I have.  Would love to invest in more 'open storage'.

MousEarz wrote re: Product organization quiz
on Tuesday, 18 January 2011, 5:46 PM

1. I actually use what I have. I may not use stuff on every LO, but I do pull it all out at one point or another.

2. I actually purged some stuff recently because it really wasn't my style; however, it was somebody else's...so I shared!

3. Patterned paper & really fabulous embellishments.

4. I'm pretty good right now. I have a few buttons that could stand to be sorted & some larger stickers/alphas that I'd like to move, but that's about it at the moment.

5. Brads, eyelets, flowers...all of those are pretty well organized.

6. I use a lot of jars in varying sizes for everything from eyelets to flowers.

7. See question 6.

8. I have some larger stickers/alphas that I'd like to get out of Cropper Hopper folders so that I can see them better.

Connie wrote re: Product organization quiz
on Tuesday, 18 January 2011, 7:28 PM

1. Photo corners...I have difficulty getting into just the right position. Also, I have LOTS of plain, patterned papers and cardstock in mutiple sizes. Recently bought another paper organizer (my 4th). Need to get working!

2. My Sizzix machine and dies.

3. It's not so much a product as it is a theme and photos that get me going. I use many product in my layouts.

4. Stickers, stamps of all kinds, embellishments (so I can see them).

5. My paper storage is the easiest, although I am about toreorganize as I recently bought an extra paper sorage unit. Right now I have them sorted by color and themes. I would like to separate my solids and prints.

6. My paper storage towers and my stacks of drawer that are large enough to hold 12x12 papers, but are also good for any number of other products and supplies.

7. In addition to #6, I am building custom shelves for my stamps and ribbons; and organizing my stickers by theme, clear stamps by theme and stencils and templates into 12x12 D-ring albums.

8. My 12x12 drawers are not working well for my dye and pigment stamp pads. I have heard it is best to store them upside down to keep the ink at the top, then you have to turn them over to see the color. there has to be a better way.

JJsMomSteph wrote re: Product organization quiz
on Tuesday, 18 January 2011, 9:41 PM

1. Which products in your stash do you find uninspiring, cumbersome, or not in line with your reasons for scrapbooking? some stickers that I know I'll never use

2. Which products in your stash are you holding onto out of guilt? (If you look at it and think, "I paid good money for this, I may need it someday, it was a gift, or it's wasteful not to use this," you're probably keeping it out of guilt.) some chipboard accents that I will never use

3. Which products make you want to create? stamps, ink, punches

4. List the products that you need to reorganize (the ones that are hard to find or that you keep forgetting you have). inks and stickers

5. List which products are well organized for you (always easy to find, simple to know what you have). punches and brads

6. Which storage solutions are working best for you? Write down products that are stored in ways that make them easy to retrieve and put away. clear containers

7. What types of storage containers are you using that work well for you? (Use your answers to question 6.)clear containers

8. What types of storage containers are you using that don't work well for you?  pendiflex folders

JJsMomSteph wrote re: Product organization quiz
on Tuesday, 18 January 2011, 9:47 PM

1. old stickers

2. My Acucut --the multiple pieces that are needed to cut with some die cuts like Sizzix is crazy! I'm fine with the Cuttlebug and the Cricut.

3. stamps and punches

4. stickers, rub-ons

5. punches, brads, adhesives

6. clear containers, desktop organizer

7. desktop organizer spinner and basket with my newest things

8. pendiflex folders that have older stickers and rub-ons

CandiScraps wrote re: Product organization quiz
on Tuesday, 18 January 2011, 10:00 PM

1)  I recently set aside all the things I no longer use & posted them on a scrap swap so that other scrappers can put them to good use

2)  None really.  If I can't use it I generally don't buy it & if I buy it & realize I won't use it, it goes in the swap pile

3)  The photo is what gets me going, I usually end up with a variety of products on a finished LO

4)  Patterned paper!!  It takes me way too long to sort through all the stacks to find what I want

5 & 6) Sticker sheets in freezer bags & labelled, brads/eyelets in tackle box trays, buttons in apothecary jars, Stickles & embossing powders in small canvas drawers on my ribbon cabinet, die-cuts & acrylic stamps in binders, tools I use for every LO in divided decorative basket

7)  In addition to 5 & 6, I love my clear drawers for bigger items b/c they are so easy to find

8)  Clear plastic boxes w/hinged lids for patterned paper - Too much sorting!  I'm wishing for the day that I have trays or a paper rack!

Hope wrote re: Product organization quiz
on Wednesday, 19 January 2011, 8:56 PM

1.  stickers, cutesy girly papers, that's really about it!

2. wishblade (gift from DH) and the standard cricut (I upgraded to the E)

3.  thickers, papers

4.  I just can't figure out the best way to organize it!!

5. my thickers - they are all hanging on my peg board

6. my monthly kits which I keep in a box by my desk.  Easy to grab or flip thru.

7. cropper hopper paper filing system (their old style green containers)

8. binders for acrylic stamps and binders for my ideas that I collect.  Both I really need to find a better organization system!

Emeraldvalkyrie wrote re: Product organization quiz
on Thursday, 20 January 2011, 7:13 AM

1. Which products in your stash do you find uninspiring, cumbersome, or not in line with your reasons for scrapbooking? There are certain papers given to me as gifts

2. Which products in your stash are you holding onto out of guilt? (If you look at it and think, "I paid good money for this, I may need it someday, it was a gift, or it's wasteful not to use this," you're probably keeping it out of guilt.) the papers mentioned in one...b/c family seems to look for them

3. Which products make you want to create? some of my newer papers, stamps and my sewing stuff. My new CK magazines

4. List the products that you need to reorganize (the ones that are hard to find or that you keep forgetting you have). my markers, stamps, some of my papers

5. List which products are well organized for you (always easy to find, simple to know what you have).most of my papers, my buttons, ribbon, chipboard

6. Which storage solutions are working best for you? Write down products that are stored in ways that make them easy to retrieve and put away. my buttons in their jars, my rchipboard and other small embellishments

7. What types of storage containers are you using that work well for you? (Use your answers to question 6.) jars, project folders for paper(I need more)

8. What types of storage containers are you using that don't work well for you? some of the chelving is just not right for the things I have

Sandie wrote re: Product organization quiz
on Friday, 21 January 2011, 9:54 PM

1. Anna Griffin would probably faint if she read this, but I have ribbon that I simply don't use and it's bulky to keep.  I've spent hours organizing ribbon and simply use strips of paper instead.

2. Information.  I don't know if you consider that a product, but I've created an extensive library of binders with articles I've kept from various magazines for years.  There are probably a dozen 3" binders by now.  However, I find that I don't refer back to them like I thought I would.  I spend more time organizing the articles than I do re-reading them!  I can't throw away back issues without pulling out articles because 1-I might need to know this or review it one day; or 2-guilt over paying for the magazines so I don't want to waste them

3. My paper.  I often find that the design of my paper gives me the ideas on how to use it.  I don't find that nearly as often with embellishments.

4. My stash of quotes.  There's a ton of pre-printed quotes in a pile in random order.  I can never find anything specific without looking thru the whole thing.

5. Paper (large paper bin), scraps (containers in bin), die cut and List which products are well organized for you (always easy to find, simple to know what you have), chipboard letters, pens, stamps, punches, it's all pretty well organized.

6. Which storage solutions are working best for you? Again, paper bin makes all paper accessible and easy to see.  Cardstock is stored by color, printed paper is also stored by color, except for one or two manufacturers (Anna Griffin) and they are stored separately by collection (Willow, Carmen, Alix, etc), special papers (glitter, metallic, vellum) are stored all together, same with scraps.  Pens are all together stored flat in clear plastic boxes with lids.  Eyelets and brads are stored in clear divided containers.  Letter aned word stickers are together.  Embellishments are together in tiny drawers.  Punches are all together in several drawers as are my stamps.  I do need to find something to hold my embossing powders and glitter for when I take it out of the drawer.  My magazine article reference library is contained in large binders on the counter.

7.   I store scraps in the Iris scrapbook containers - the ones that are 13 x 13 with the flip top lid and are about 3" deep.  I can keep all my 12 inch long scraps as well as the 11" long; I'm not limited to a letter-size container.  I can store a stack of one paper or single pieces of others.  They're easy to get to and easy to store away in.  I store my die cut and chipboard letters in bins with tiny pull out drawers, similar to what a man might use in his workshop to stores nails and screws.  I keep my pens in clear Artbin boxes organized by brand.  I keep brads and eyelets in ArtBin containers with fixed dividers (can't stand the adjustable kind since something always seems to slip underneath).  I also keep punched pieces in bulk in these ArtBins boxes if I'm working on a larger project or theme album. I have a series of Cropper Hopper drawers in two sizes on top of each other - one for each color - where I store ribbon and small embellishments. I have one larger drawer for larger embellishments.  I also use photo boxes to store pre-made cards and envelopes or leftovers from another project.  I have built in cabinetry with loads of 3" tall drawers so am able to store almost everything in them without any additional containers.  I recently put all my letter and word stickers in a photo box so they'd be more accessible than the Cropper Hopper accordian folders I used to have them in.

8. What types of storage containers are you using that don't work well for you?  That open box of stickers is like candy to my 4-month old kitten!  He likes to chew on them.  Plus it doesn't hold something 12" long.  I may have to find something with taller sides.  The binders for my reference library are too bulky.

TammieM2PNC wrote re: Product organization quiz
on Saturday, 22 January 2011, 9:57 AM

1. Which products in your stash do you find uninspiring, cumbersome, or not in line with your reasons for scrapbooking? I don't have the space to keep too many things that I don't use around..but I probably have more baby boy stickers than I will ever use!

2. Which products in your stash are you holding onto out of guilt? (If you look at it and think, "I paid good money for this, I may need it someday, it was a gift, or it's wasteful not to use this," you're probably keeping it out of guilt.) none anymore...but I held onto my old red sizzix for many years because it was given to me as a gift and I never really used it.

3. Which products make you want to create? embellishments..I fall in love with them and can't wait to use them...also patterned paper...I love it.

4. List the products that you need to reorganize (the ones that are hard to find or that you keep forgetting you have). paper, embellishments and inks. I have them organized the best that I know how, but I still feel I have to dig to find stuff.

5. List which products are well organized for you (always easy to find, simple to know what you have). my buttons, pens and ribbons.

6. Which storage solutions are working best for you? Write down products that are stored in ways that make them easy to retrieve and put away. My buttons are all organized in baby food jars labeled and sorted by color, I don't have many ribbons so they are stored in an old baby formula can and pens are also stored in an old baby formula can sitting on my desk .d

7. What types of storage containers are you using that work well for you? (Use your answers to question 6.) I listed them in answer 6...LOL. baby food jars and formula cans.

8. What types of storage containers are you using that don't work well for you? I have 2 really really cute tote bags that I thought would be awesome for storage. And while they are in some ways things also get lost in the big open pocket.

galess1 wrote re: Product organization quiz
on Saturday, 22 January 2011, 12:33 PM

1.Which products in your stash do you find uninspiring, cumbersome, or not in line with your reasons for scrapbooking?                                Stamps, I don’t like them!

2. Which products in your stash are you holding onto out of guilt?       Paper pack leftovers  &  Stamps

3. Which products make you want to create?                         Fabric,Ribbon Flowers and Bling

4. List the products that you need to reorganize (the ones that are hard to find or that you keep forgetting you have).                       Dimensional Stickers and Chipboard

5. List which products are well organized for you (always easy to find, simple to know what you have).                                          All my alphabet stickers, embellishments, fibers and ribbons are organized by color.                                                                  My cardstock is organized by color, my other papers are organized by theme (heritage,sports,wedding),special types (lace,metallic,vellum) or collections (DCWV,K&Co.,American Crafts)

6. Which storage solutions are working best for you? Write down products that are stored in ways that make them easy to retrieve and put away.                                                                      Adhesives in my desktop tool tote                                   Acrylic paints on a revolving rack.                             Bling ,brads, buttons and flowers in plastic totes with drawers        Paper in paper holders                                                  All my coloring pens, pencils and markers (chalk, , dimensional, gel,  ink,  and watercolor) ,divided, in a desktop tote.

I use a ribbon spooler to make small spools and get rid of all the big cardboard spools to save space.

7. What types of storage containers are you using that work well for you? (Use your answers to question 6.)                                          CM Daisy Totes keep all my supplies handy at home and at crops.           Cropper Hopper  containers keep my papers and pages- in- progress safe and easy to transport to my worktable or to a crop.

My Ribbon Spooler makes all my ribbon fit into 4 sets of ribbon trays that can go into any drawer at home or a storage box for easy transport.

8. What types of storage containers are you using that don't work well for you?                                                                       Totes that don’t close tight and containers without lids! I am about to get rid of some older totes and containers that have tipped over or fallen and spilled my stash all over the car, the sidewalk  or scrap space.

FAQ | About Us | Privacy Policy | Guarantee | Join © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.