5 Keys to Well-Designed Scrapbook Pages

Designing your scrapbook pages doesn't have to be a chore. In fact, scrapbooking just got a whole lot easier! The Creating Keepsakes team has put together design cheat sheets that will not only inspire your creativity but also offer solutions for design techniques, cool color combinations, and helpful layout sketches that you can use over and over.

Visual Hierarchy

The order of how the eye views each element on your scrapbook pages is called "visual hierarchy." Creating with a visual hierarchy in mind is a great place to start as you build a layout. Aim to have your pages use a visual hierarchy in the following order:

1. Photos

2. Title

3. Journaling

4. Embellishments.

"Love" by Elizabeth Kartchner

Contrast

Add different colors, fonts, and shapes to your layout to lend contrast and visual interest. By using colors that complement rather than match your photos, you will create a nice contrast that helps your photos stand out even more!

"Spring in Utah" by Kelly Purkey

Repetition

Repeat colors or elements to guide others from one side of your layout to the other. You can add repetition with photo shapes and sizes, embellishments, color, text, and more.

"Tradition" by Mou Saha

Balance

Visual balance can be achieved by simply arranging your photos in a block or grid. This approach helps the visual weight so that no single side of your layout feels heavier than another.

"Cool Cuts" by Amanda Probst

Proximity

Place photos, accents, and elements in close proximity to imply a relationship between all the items. Grouping the objects together will also pull your layout together.

"Marcie & Joe" by Jackie Stringham

For more design tips, check out Creating Keepsakes magazine and the "Design Solutions" column in Scrapbooking Tips & Tricks. Note: As a premium member of Club CK, you will automatically receive a subscription to Scrapbooking Tips & Tricks, along with other great benefits! Join today for less than $3 a month!

--Joannie McBride, Creating Keepsakes assistant editor

Comments

CK Community Blog wrote Celebrating Scrapbooking: CK's Countdown to National Scrapbooking Day
on Thursday, 29 April 2010, 10:25 AM

Join CK for the Biggest Scrapbooking E-Party of the Year! Get ready for an energy-packed week of scrapbooking

on Thursday, 29 April 2010, 10:32 AM

lovetoteach23 wrote re: 5 Keys to Well-Designed Scrapbook Pages
on Thursday, 29 April 2010, 11:51 PM

I love these examples and want to scraplift the second one. They are all so pretty.

on Friday, 30 April 2010, 11:37 AM

judiesmom2009 wrote re: 5 Keys to Well-Designed Scrapbook Pages
on Friday, 30 April 2010, 4:13 PM

I love all the good tips I have learned so far.  I am anxious to get started back to my scrapbooking.

I am especially enthused about this National Day of Scrapbooking E-party of the year.

GrammaChurch wrote re: 5 Keys to Well-Designed Scrapbook Pages
on Saturday, 1 May 2010, 8:31 AM

I am learning so much this week.  I knew there were different layouts and that some looked better than others but I never really knew why.  Thanks for the design info.  I love the wedding pictures and definitely plan to use that technique.

on Saturday, 1 May 2010, 10:11 AM

Kathleen wrote re: 5 Keys to Well-Designed Scrapbook Pages
on Saturday, 1 May 2010, 10:56 AM

I really appreciate these ti[s!  Hope you will leave this up so I can refer to it!

Iva GreyWolf wrote re: 5 Keys to Well-Designed Scrapbook Pages
on Saturday, 1 May 2010, 2:48 PM

I love the Design Cheat Sheet summaries!  Do you have a publication of them? One of my daughters loves having patterns.  As a busy mother, she feels too time pressured to come up with all her own creative ideas.  She wants to get a page layout done when she has the time!

lifeis wrote re: 5 Keys to Well-Designed Scrapbook Pages
on Saturday, 1 May 2010, 6:31 PM

The Design Cheat Sheets really help pull it all together.   Thank you  for all of the tips.  They are great.

photochaser@hotmail.com wrote re: 5 Keys to Well-Designed Scrapbook Pages
on Saturday, 1 May 2010, 7:08 PM

I liked all but the top layout - a bit too busy - I really enjoyed the color schemes of all.

czwgjoicp wrote re: 5 Keys to Well-Designed Scrapbook Pages
on Saturday, 22 May 2010, 10:28 AM

tjMYph  <a href="yqviffmsytjf.com/.../a>, [url=http://efoonfnxugrr.com/]efoonfnxugrr[/url], [link=http://cjipjcfzpery.com/]cjipjcfzpery[/link], http://ifwbvqqxoals.com/

FAQ | About Us | Privacy Policy | Guarantee | Join Copyright ©2014, Creative Crafts Group, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.